Friday, November 25, 2016

Logical Fallacies

Were you ever in a situation where you either couldn't win an argument because it has gone way too extreme or someone said something that had nothing to do with the actual argument? If your answer was yes, then you actually dealt with logical fallacies before. There are three types of logical fallacies: Ad Hominen, Slipper Slope, Bandwagon Fallacy, and Straw-man. Ad Hominen is when your character or personal traits are being attacked instead of the actual argument. You probably experienced this when arguing with someone younger than you. This actually happened to me because this young girl that I was looking after wanted to see my earrings and when I said no, she said "well you don't look good in them anyways". Slippery Slope is when a person asserts that some event must inevitably follow from another without any argument for the inevitably of the event in question. This usually happens when arguing wit your parents. For example, today is Friday November 25, Black Friday, and I headed out this morning and my mom basically said, don't buy a lot of things because you'll end up living in the streets. Upon further examination, her assumption was that if I bought a lot of things, I would've ended up being broke and wouldn't be able to afford anything, thus I'll end up living in the streets. Of course, these two aren't the only Logical Fallacies that we see but these are the ones that we see the most often. In my opinion, Logical Fallacies can be illogical because if you're arguing with someone, attacking their personality or their traits wouldn't help you win the argument. Anyhow, that's all for this week. 

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment